Hey, I saw Eric Mann mention a new app called pocketwit while looking through the news section over at PalmAddict.com. I headed over to the pocketwit page to read more about it!
pocketwit is a twitter client for the Windows Mobile platform. What is twitter, you ask? Twitter is a service for friends, family, and coworkers to communicate and stay connected through the exchange of quick, frequent answers to one simple question: What are you doing?
From my reading, I've discovered that twitter is sort of like MySpace (very limited though), but you can be informed of what your friends are doing - sort of in real time, because it uses standard Windows Mobile notifications to inform you of new messages and/or new friend status updates. Very cool!
Notable Features of pocketwit:
- A unique user interface
- Works on VGA, QVGA and SmartPhone devices
- Support for multiple twitter and identi.ca accounts
- Maps view shows users on a world map and allows searching by region
- "Conversation View" shows a what this status was in reply to.
- Uses standard notifications to alert you of new friends statuses or replies
- Keeps an addressbook to easily add usernames to posts.
- URL shortening with is.gd
- Integration with shorttext.com for tweets longer than 140 characters
- Take photos and send to TwitPic, mobypicture, or yfrog
- Preview images from TwitPic, mobypicture or yfrog without a browser.
- Integrated search.twitter.com
- Quote (re-tweet) or email a status
- Clickable @names, URLs, and #Hashtags
- Option to check for new version on startup
I was interested in the 'unique user interface', so I read a bit about it and found out that the main list implements "kinetic scrolling". You can drag your finger across the screen and the page follows along, as if you were pushing the content around. If you lift your finger while the screen is moving, it will continue to move for some time, as if you "threw" the content in that direction. This sounds similar to the way I've heard the upcoming Palm Pre allows you to discard a 'card'. What a cool idea!
If you're into MySpace, FaceBook or other social networking pages, then you may find pocketwit worth checking out! Why not head to the pocketwit homepage and check it out today?
If you're interested in finding out a little more about twitter, I found an excellent video that was pretty helpful in helping me understand the gist of twitter. Check it out!