TreoCentral TreoCast Episode 14
For March 5th, 2007
How to listen
- Palm does indeed intend on Fixing the "Find flaw" on the 700p and the 680 (but not the 650 or the 600)
- Palm has also released a bevy of software patches - a DST patch for both OSes, an update for outlook for better compatibility, and they're working on Vista support
- Palm has also picked-up marketshare in Canada, taking it away from RIM
- There are Palm Buyout rumors a-flyin'. It's made their stock a titch volatile.
- Palm CFO Andrew Brown says they're planning on trading margins for market share (scroll down)
- The 700wx is now available for Verizon, finally.
- More on the Windows Mobile 6 version of the Treo 750. We don't know yet exactly what Palm intends to do, but Microsoft is giving Palm a free license to distribute WM6.
Our TreoGuide this week is a "classic" - we both choose our top 5 "Must-have" apps for our Treos.
Windows Mobile Treos
- SPB Mobile Shell, a great way to navigate through your Treo faster and easier.
- Resco Explorer, a very powerful file explorer, registry editor, and FTP Browser.
- Google maps, need I say more?
- Pocket Informant, a Calendar/Contacts/Tasks replacement with a ton of features. (I go back and forth, but I always come back)
- PdaNet, which automatically sets up Dial-Up Networking. I know it's not technically necessary, but not having to deal with config is worth it for me.
- Mobile Clock, a full-featured alarm clock application.
- Tom Tom GPS Navigator, GPS driving directions and navigation.
- Splash ID, for keeping all your private records.
- FileZ (Free) and/or Resco Explorer - both file explorers, though Resco is a bit more full-features.
- Opera Mini (Requires Websphere
Plus, Mike sneaks in 7 more for the PalmOS:
- Google Maps
- invisible (for hiding apps on your Home screen)
- diddlebug (a great drawing program)
- TCPMP (Now TCPMP is CorePlayer, the commercial version, get it here)
- Kinoma Player (great for video on your Treo)
- Card Export (turns your Treo into a SD card reader)
Solitaire and Aces Texas Hold'em are Dieter's games on Windows Mobile. On the PalmOS, Mike likes Minehunt. DicePro (a dice roller for you RPG'ers), Strange Adventures in Infinite Space, and Bejeweled 2.
- TomTom Nav 2 - now supports Treo 680 and has a new car cradle
- The Aliph Jawbone Bluetooth Headset has some great noise cancellation, see this video at WMExperts.com for an example.
- Motorola H670 Bluetooth Headset is a new headset from Moto. It has a nice new style for you Moto Headset lovers (you know who you are).
- Smartphone Experts Hard Leather Case for the Treo 750 and 680 is a great, professional-looking case that offers good protection for your Treo.
First a shout-out to our moderators who have done a killer job fighting spam. Thanks!
- New Windows Mobile Developers forum, plus Mortscript
- Hannip has gotten A2DP working on the 700wx. I tried it. it works great.
- A new "World Wide English ROM from Vodafone for 750v was semi-leaked.
Thanks to the TreoCentral Store for sponsoring the TreoCast.
Music comes from ccMixter.org, a great Creative Commons music site. Our specific music is the following: